Thursday, July 27, 2006

Orientation to CMU-Q

So I'm writing this entry right now on my very own CMU-issued laptop, which works perfectly in my apartment since it was already equipped with wireless when I got here. Very exciting. Next thing on the agenda is to get my digital camera set up on this computer so I can finally post some pics of my place.

On Tuesday I had my Orientation with the Human Resources people, housing and car guys, the business manager, all of those important people. I learned about getting my permanent residency permit, all of the staff procedures. It turns out that one of the women in HR is the mother of one of the students that was visiting Pittsburgh, so she's taking extra good care of me :-) Oh, and if I thought everyone in Doha was nice, everyone at CMU-Qatar is a saint. They treat the new employees so well. We also have another orientation with all of the new employees that will discuss culture shock.

I also got to meet my boss on Tuesday. He is going to be the new director of student activities, who is so nice (and get this, he has a blog named "Dave in Doha!") We got dinner last night and looked at a new apartment for him that is right along the water. We also went to campus today and then to the mall. I am really excited about working with him because he is very genuine about working with the students and really seems to know what he is doing. I think we're going to be able to do really good work. Also, I met Gloria today, the Dean of Student Affairs. Finally, I got to meet the woman who hired me! She seemed very excited to have us there, so they've been making us feel very welcome.

Funny things: so the qatari riyal is divided into dirhams, but anything less that one riyal isn't really worth anything, so none of the stores really keep dirhams. Instead of getting change at the grocery store, they give you candy or gum with your purchase! Also, there is this store here that is like a really big pottery barn, and there is a cafe in it that is supposed to be one of the really good date spots in Doha. So at some point I have to go on a date at the home store :-)

Tomorrow I get my rental car and brave the driving for the first time. Luckily on Friday morning everyone is at mosque, so traffic is really light, and on Saturdays many people go to visit extended family, so it will be a good chance to practice (fingers crossed!)

More to come soon, its after midnight here so I'm going to sleep!

1 Comments:

At 4:50 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Caryl! I am a little slow on the uptake and just found your blog. I am def going to be checking it regularly so I can stay updated on all the exciting and interesting things that you are doing! I miss u!! I am glad to hear that CMU is taking such good care of you. Have fun and show us some pictures as soon as you can.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home