Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Exciting Opportunities!

This week has been busy already, and its only halfway done!

First, I signed up for Arabic classes. One is for reading and writing, and one is for conversation. They meet 4 mornings a week (2 mornings/class) before work and they're free! This is one of my highest priority goals for my time in Qatar so I'm glad that I'm starting right away. There are also classes available at the Qatar Council for the Promotion of Islam, so if I want to practice more, I can do so for a relatively cheap price.

Second, I was talking to Fadhel, our Government Relations Officer at CMU-Q, and I mentioned that my grandparents lived in Saudi Arabia a long time ago. I said something like "Its too bad I'm a single woman and I can't go into Saudi." He suggested that I have my father or brother take me, if they ever visit. Now I don't mind going to Saudi with my dad, but I'm not entering any country where they tell Drew that he has legal authority over me! And I told Fadhel that I didn't know exactly when my dad was coming. So he thinks that if a big group of men and women go, and most of the women are married to the men, and we have a guard with us at all times, they might let me go. He's going to talk to the Saudi government and see what he can do. Not many single American women would be excited about going into Saudi Arabia, and I wouldn't say I'm excited so much as intrigued. But I would totally take the opportunity to see what its like there, and it might actually happen!

3 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Blogger Pearlma said...

You should read the book "Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia" by Jean P. Sasson. It's a true story by a Saudi princess (published by an American journalist) that has some really interesting insight into Saudi culture. I read the book a while ago but this girl was one of I think 14 kids and there was only one boy...

It's a good book.

 
At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just realized I can leave comments without an account... yay!

I'm so glad things are going well for you! I saw Meg this weekend, and we all definitely want to start planning our vacation for next year- I'm going to start saving now (well, after I buy the car). And I'm so jealous you're learning Arabic! One of the women in my office is going to help me with Mandarin in exchange for English lessons... I'm hoping if I learn enough Mandarin the company will send me to the trade show in Beijing next year. I miss you!!

Steph :)

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE to find out that you are imersing yourself so completely in the culture. Papa was project engineer and managerfor the airport in Jedda. Hope you see it! Miss you like crazy!!!
Mother

 

Post a Comment

<< Home