Monday, August 14, 2006

Its the little things...

When you move to a country with a completely different culture from the one you're used to, initially there is a shock, where the differences seem overwhelming. Then you start to notice some things about your new culture that, even when they're annoying, kind of make you smile because they're just so, well, foreign...

Muslim countries with freedom of speech and religion are particularly interesting. On Friday morning, I left my Christian church service, which took place in an unmarked villa, to hear Arabic prayer being broadcast over the loudspeaker of the large mosque next door. Talk about something that's not likely to occur in the States!

Then a few nights ago I was driving home, listening to the ONLY English radio station. On this station, you can never be sure if you are going to get Frank Sinatra, British techno-pop, bad country western, or Pantera. Imagine my excitement when I heard that the next song was going to be Bohemian Rhapsody, one of my favorites! Imagine my disappointment when it was interrupted during the first verse by the sunset call to prayer.

I'm an easy-going person, and I had studied enough about the culture here that I was prepared for the big things, but every once in awhile (like when Queen gets ruined), you just have to laugh and remind yourself that its the little things that make a culture worth learning.

4 Comments:

At 2:56 AM, Blogger Lo said...

Hello gorgeous. Let me know when I can send you a care package! I'm going shopping this week. Let me know what you need. I'll pick stuff up for you. Miss you dearly!

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger Lizzy said...

Thats hilarious. I totally get the music stuff. In Vienna, all we had was German MTV - the number 1 song for days was Blink 182s "All the Small Things" with Fatboy Slim's "Praise You" not far behind. But they also really liked Chili Peppers and Madonna, and some Italian music video where a guy got hit by a bus...and don't even get me started on european karaoke tastes - it was all about frank sinatra, bad country, but then there were some amazing guys who could bust out 50 cent like no other. Anyway, have fun learning about all those weird/funny little nuances - it sounds like you're doing great! Miss you!

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caryl! We demand pictures!

Care package will come soon, we're going to bring it to school when I go back and I'm going to drop it off with the person.

Glad you're settling in and having fun.

-Justin

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger John said...

abercrombie
coach outlet store online
ray-ban sunglasses
coach outlet
ugg boots
north face uk
ray ban outlet
nike air max
michael kors outlet
jordan retro
hollister uk
nike running shoes
mont blanc pens
lebron james shoes
ugg boots
ugg boots outlet
uggs outlet
the north face jackets
toms outlet
ugg outlet
uggs on sale
jordan shoes
michaek kors outlet
michael kors outlet
hollister kids
christian louboutin outlet
michaek kors outlet
kate spade handbags
michael kors outlet clearance
north face outlet
oakley sunglasses wholesale
oakley sunglasses
north face jacket
20151207yuanyuan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home