Sunday, August 20, 2006

Paloma memories...

The Paloma nostalgia of the weekend: On Thursday night, or as my new blogger friend Ryann says, T.A.I.T. (Thank Allah its Thursday), a whole group of CMU-Q staff went to a restaurant/bar at the Intercontinental Hotel. The place was simply called La Paloma Bar, so that didn't take a lot to make me think of my husband. (For those of you who don't know, Paloma and I got "married" during Las Vegas night at CMU sophomore year). Then, on Friday evening I turned on the TV and its Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit!!! Oh it made me want to dance! Also, they can't have Christian websites in this country, but they can have Whoopi Goldberg in a nun costume singing about God... curious...

I also went to a club at the Marriott on Friday night with Silvia, Erik, and Carla. In two nights I have come to the following conclusion: club music is exactly like the radio - techno, Arabic, hip hop, pop, oldies and both nights I heard Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance with Somebody." Yeah. Halfway through the night at the Marriott I remembered the State Department Travel warning that said "Americans should avoid hotels, bars, and other places frequented by Westerners." For a second I was concerned, then I looked around. FYI, State Department, the bars were overflowing with very non-Westerners. The majority both nights were actually from Lebanon... the Lebanese know how to party.

And here's where the weekend gets surreal... we saw some of our students at La Paloma. Our chain-smoking, beer-drinking, public-affection-displaying students who informed us that they do this every Thursday. I'm still recovering from the shock. Its just something about the name Paloma that makes people want to party :-)