Tuesday, September 19, 2006

As promised...

Dave, Erik, and our tour guides dig in

pictures from lamb brain day...

I should explain that on Saturday some people from CMU-Q got the opportunity to tour a mosque and ask questions about the history, beliefs, and rituals of Islam. The people that gave us the tour are part of a Qatari government organization for the advancement of Arab culture and Islamic scholarship. They are accustomed to dealing with Westerners who are curious but not knowledgable, and I think everyone that went learned a lot. I know I did.

They also gave us a traditional meal afterward. This is usually lamb and rice, and a group of people will eat with their right hand off of one tray while sitting on the floor. Lesson learned: rice is really hard to eat with your hand.



Dave, Karen, and I pose with the tray of rice and lamb:















Dave poses with the skull of a lamb,
before we open it and eat the tounge and brain:



















Karen and I hang out on the traditional majlis seating after lunch:















So cute! Rachel makes friends with our tour guide's daughter:

8 Comments:

At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy cow! or lamb, should i say. A few things: 1. I am glad you posted Overheard in New York, as it is one of my top 3 sites. 2. i'm really jealous - it sounds like such an amazing time! 3. if i just want to send you letters, where do i send them?
- Rachel

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you! Immersing yourself so completely and staying so open to all new experiences. Please do not expect me to ever cook those for you so enjoy while you're there. New favorite birthday meal? Great job on the blog.
Mother

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Pearlma said...

Yay for weird food! actually i don't think lamb is weird. You should have asked for it sin cabesa.

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Caryl- it's Felice,just had lunch with your mom- she looks terrific. She told me all about your adventures- lamb eh? looks like you are enjoying life-which is terrific! I sold my house-moved to Hershey PA. I have a boyfriend that has 2 kids (could be a stepmom someday). Life is moving right along here as well. That is awesome that you're getting to travel- enjoy every minute of it. And yes- Pittsburgh is terrific- I miss the people in Mechanicsburg-but not the town. I'll keep watching your adventures-if you get a chance drop me a line at zimmysgirl@hotmail.com. Til you're next adventure.... Felice

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

www0628

ray ban sunglasses
nike air max 2015
warriors jerseys
canada goose outlet
coach outlet online
swarovski outlet
givenchy jewelry
nike revolution
kate spade outlet
kate spade outlet







 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0724
air jordan retro
jimmy choo shoes
oakley sunglasses
gucci outlet
burberry outlet
canada goose jackets
pacers jerseys
nike foamposite
supreme clothing
michael kors

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger yanmaneee said...

michael kors bags
off white x jordan 1
air max 97
jordan 6
golden goose
michael kors handbags
moncler outlet
air max 270
balenciaga shoes
michael kors purses

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

supreme hoodie
off white
supreme
cheap jordans
jordan shoes
kobe byrant shoes
off white outlet
cheap jordans
kd shoes
hermes outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home