Sunday, September 10, 2006

Its Pittsburgh Steelers Time!!!

Did you know that Thursday night football starts at 3:30am (Friday morning) in Doha? Yeah, thank you 7 hour time difference. Luckily Aaron's satellite ESPN out of Australia carries it, because apparently there's nothing else on at that hour of the day. We consider ourselves very lucky that the cricket match didn't go into its third day of overtime.

I napped from midnight until 3:00am, due to a CMU-Q faculty dinner and quality time at the Paloma bar on Thursday night. When considering the following events of the wee hours of the morning, please keep in mind the following things:
Dave Stanfield is the biggest shit-talker fantasy football has ever seen, and I play him this weekend.
Dave has Ward and Brown on his fantasy team and I have Chambers and Heath Miller.
Its f'ing four o'clock in the morning!!!

Beginning of game: Overall I am ok. I am sleepy and that's not good for a defensive battle, as it is. The chicken wings that I am eating help. The only person on the whole field having a good game is Ronnie Brown. I am not entirely happy.

Then...: Ward scores a touchdown! I am happy, even though I wish it was Miller instead of Ward. Whatever, screw fantasy, I'll take the Steelers points. Chris Chambers is noticably absent from every play. Dolphins score, I am sad. I realize Chambers caught it. I am happier. The play gets called back due to penalty. I am torn. Ronnie Brown runs the next ball in for a touchdown. I am pissed.

Halftime: did you know the sun comes up around 4:45am in Doha?

Second half: Dolphins score, blah blah blah, I seriously don't think Chambers is even on the field. Ike Taylor is earning his new contract. So are the Dolphins #2 and #3 recievers. I look up from my chicken wing to see a Steeler running down the field with the football. I jump up and start shouting "Go, go, Go!" I see that it is Heath Miller, I start shouting even louder "Go!" I wake up Aaron's wife. I feel bad. I see the replay and start begging Jeff Reed to "kick the freaking extra point already!" I see the challenge flag. I cry. The next few minutes are a blur. In the end, I am very happy.

The game ends and we go to breakfast at Ric's Country Kitchen (fondly refered to as Texas Land) in our jerseys. The American men there look at us with confusion and admiration. I drink sweet tea and eat cheesy grits and go to sleep at 10:00am. Yay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home