Thursday, September 21, 2006

Jesus Camp

I try to keep my posts based on culture and my experiences in Qatar. But sometimes you see something that you just can't ignore. As an American woman living happily in the Middle East, I feel sometimes that I am overwhelmed by discussions of political Islam and terrorism and all of those catchy phrases that may or may not be applicable to the region in which I live (or, more specifically, certain groups within that region). During a discussion on this topic recently, one of my students said, "We need to educate our children about what Islam really is, that its not a violent religion. Islam promotes peace and acceptance, but if we don't teach that to all of our children, then a tiny proportion of them will perpetuate these violent stereotypes."

Everyone at home and everyone here knows that I associate my core values with my Christian background, and although I don't go to church every week I do consider myself a Christian. I cannot believe that we would put our children in a place where they learn that their "enemy" is another religion, and that we are "at war" with them. Scary! Do you think that you were mature enough at age 10 to consider the question "Will you die for Jesus?"

Jesus Camp trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_EKHK1C2IE

Although I would like to withhold judgement on this documentary until I see it, I am not sure that I will get the chance to see it here. Should I see it in the future and change my mind about these camps, I will of course be posting on this blog about how wrong I was.

Please don't think that I am supporting Islamic schools that teach these same concepts to their children - I am certainly not! Its the same message, different religion in the headline. To that message, I respond: Train your children to think for themselves. Anything other than that is irresponsible and dangerous.

To paraphrase a statement by Queen Raina of Jordan, these battles are not between Islam and Christianity, these battles are between peaceful moderates of both religions and the extremists of each who continue violence in the name of their religion. (I encourage anyone who sees quotes from Queen Raina to take note - she is an extremely articulate and interesting woman.)

One final thought: Jews, Muslims, and Christians believe in the same God... what must He be thinking about all of this violence being done in His name?

4 Comments:

At 6:13 AM, Blogger Lo said...

On a lighter note...when are we going to be able to meet up in your neck of the woods? I want to plan something in december. Do you have time off? My dad has forbidden me to step foot in the middle east but...when have I ever listened to him?! Miss you terribly! Email me.


Love you mucho wifey.
Plo

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Caryl said...

well, this goes for everyone... i can take time off during the summer most easily, but during some parts of summer trust me you don't want to set foot in the middle east! unless you like your weather at 115 degrees F. also, winter break could work well. bottom line, if you are willing to come all the way to Qatar, I don't care when it is, I'll make time for you!!

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Denny Roberts said...

Carly - First of all, I love your pictures of Dave. I don't understand why he didn't post the picture of him with the skull of a lamb on his blog?

I mainly wanted to comment on your paraphrase of Queen Raina of Jordan. I've not read or heard much about her. Her characterization of the culture/religion battle not being about Islam v. Christianity but moderates v. extremists makes incredible sense. I've struggled to find words that reposition the conflict and this is so simple, but so helpful. What's interesting is that Queen Raina's perspective is mirrored in the findings of the Harwood research group in the U.S.A. related to politics. Harwood determined that, although there is a perception that the U.S.A. is deeply divided in its politics, most citizens are actually very moderate. In essence, politicians and the media exagerate the difference to make their points and attract voters/readers.

There are unfortunate and numerous examples that manipulative leaders over-simplify and exagerate differences in order to draw the devotion of uninformed followers. While this wins them temporary advantage, it undermines the "reasonable person" and those who seek to understand the world in complex and more realistic ways. The result of this exageration is the disaffection of those who are reasonable and the perpetuation and deepening of many of the world's conflicts.

You have an incredible opportunity in Doha to build bridges among those who have moderate and reasonable aspirations. I know how exciting it must be to be in a place where you can see these possibilities.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

www0628


ray ban sunglasses
nike air max 2015
warriors jerseys
canada goose outlet
coach outlet online
swarovski outlet
givenchy jewelry
nike revolution
kate spade outlet
kate spade outlet






 

Post a Comment

<< Home