Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Fasting again

So after my last fasting experience, I had pretty much decided that it wasn't that bad. However, I wouldn't be volunteering to do it again until someone gave me a pretty good reason. Then one of the organizations in Education City tells us that a Qatari company is willing to donate money to Darfur for every hour that non-Muslims fast on October 9. Well, this counts as a pretty good reason. But it wasn't so easy this time.

First, the Steelers played the Sunday night game, which means that I had to get my butt out of bed at 3:00am for the game. Since I had also watched the Chicago game, and had started to watch Eagles-Cowboys before I passed out on the couch, I only got 3 hours of sleep. While this would have been more than enough to function while I was still in college, I am now kind of addicted to getting at least six hours. Also, I had a wicked sore throat yesterday, and all I wanted in my life was a cup of tea. Technically you don't have to fast in Islam if you are ill, but I know that if I hadn't done it yesterday, I never would have made up my fasting day later. So I did it.

Conclusion... being tired and ill and hungry makes you: a) unproductive at work; b) really cranky; and c) sleep so long the next night that you are almost late for work on Tuesday.