Thursday, December 14, 2006

Disaster strikes Qatar...

I lost my liquor permit. Seriously, I have no idea where it is. (edit 17 December: I found it! I had forgotten which jeans I wore the last time I went, put on my cute jeans for the club the other night and there it was, yay!) That little card is the only thing that gets me into the Qatari liquor store. Instead of panic, I am trying to focus on the positives. For example, while looking for it, I found: two bobby pins, Uncle Tom's contact info, 150 Indian rupee, 6 riyal worth of Pizza Hut coupons, a DC metro card, a peppermint Cert, and about 82 American cents.

Another positive - I get an opportunity to post in my blog about the complex process of buying alcohol in this semi-conservative Middle Eastern country.

First, you have to get your liquor permit. This requires a letter from your Human Resources Director stating where you work and what your title is, where you live, whether you are single or married, and how much you make per month. You then fill out a form repeating most of that information, and adding your contact information and religion. You take the letter, the form, your passport, and QR1000 ($274.74) to the liquor store, where you have an interview. My interview was pretty much the simplest thing ever - they saw an American passport, and I had put "Catholic" as my religion, so they didn't ask me anything really. Just processed the paperwork. Then they took my picture and gave me a little blue card (this is what I have lost - so sad!) Encoded on this magical card is your permit limit - the amount of money you can spend at the liquor store per month. It is proportional to your salary, for example I get QR2000/month to spend. (Don't worry Mom and Dad, I've never come close to this amount).

Some other interesting facts:
~ There is just the one liquor store in all Qatar. It looks like a duty free shop inside. Apparently, a permit used to come with a specific day that you could shop on, and people without permits could accompany people with them. They now allow those with permits to come any day, but no one else is allowed in the store.

~ The store in closed on Fridays (like Sundays in Pennsylvania) as well as for the whole month of Ramadan. Luckily, they triple your allowance for the month before Ramadan. I didn't have my permit yet then, but from what I hear every expat in Qatar was there the week before Ramadan. We even have new friends because of the hour-long line to check out (Hi Mark!)

~ The store is owned and operated by Qatar Airways, the official Qatari airline. Pretty sure this is how they manage to turn such a sweet profit. Oh wait, that could be also be the US$400 it costs for the half-hour flight to Dubai. But I digress.

~ Judging by how long the Pakinstani guy in front of me was in the office, I think that the interview is much harder if you put "Muslim" as your religion on the form. Also, Qataris aren't allowed to get permits, but this problem is easily solved by giving their Indian driver a letter that says their salary is 30,000 riyal/month.

~ And finally, the Emir recently gave the Catholic church some land on the outskirts of Doha to build a new church. Where is it? About 2 minutes from the liquor store. My first thought: "Now isn't that stereotyping." Second thought: "Actually, how convenient!"

Ok, I feel a bit better...

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

yeah, who'da thought you'd meet an Aussie in the grog shop. :)

sucks to lose your card, though. I just cashed mine in last week, but thankfully Brendan has adequate caches to last me until he gets back (and yells at me for drinking all his booze)

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

That is highly unfortunate. Perhaps you should come visit me in California, the process to buy alcohol is somewhat less difficult here.

 
At 2:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin lost his just before I left Doha. If he's found it again, I'm sure he'd be happy to... wait, is it illegal for me to finish this sentence?

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger Della said...

do you check your pockets?

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Pearlma said...

what would happen if you put Jewish on your liquor license app?

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear that hun. I hope you find it soon. Are you allowed to apply for another one or a replacment? They must keep records of who has them.

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't do very well if I could only buy liquor at certain times, but that might have something to do with the fact it is 8:30 AM on a Sunday and I am on my way to buy something for dinner tonight and a case of beer.

Before you think I have become an alcoholic, the beer is for when my friend visits in 2 weeks- but I am driving home on Wednesday and this is my only chance to stock up before she gets here. I ordinarily do my beer shopping at more respectable times, like 11 PM on weeknights. ;-)

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Andrew Steve Leung said...

Man, I was worried when Doug told me you lost your license again. Glad you found it. You should probably keep it in a safe place.

Say, since you're not nearing your quota this month, want to help me start building my stash again?

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Rachel R. said...

whew, i'm glad you found it!

 
At 5:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ninest123 16.03
christian louboutin, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, ralph lauren outlet, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton handbags, replica watches, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, ralph lauren polo, replica watches, michael kors outlet, christian louboutin, longchamp bags, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, uggs outlet, oakley sunglasses, cheap jordans, michael kors outlet online, tiffany jewelry, burberry outlet, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, uggs on sale, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet online, michael kors handbags, uggs on sale, uggs outlet, tiffany jewelry, louboutin uk, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, oakley sunglasses, michael kors, longchamp outlet, nike air max, gucci handbags, ray ban sunglasses, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, burberry factory outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike free

 
At 6:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nike air max uk, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, mulberry uk, vans pas cher, timberland pas cher, replica handbags, true religion outlet, coach outlet store online, north face uk, nike air max, longchamp soldes, lululemon outlet, nike air force, hollister uk, sac guess pas cher, vanessa bruno pas cher, michael kors, polo lacoste pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, true religion outlet, hogan sito ufficiale, nike roshe run pas cher, nike free, abercrombie and fitch UK, nike blazer pas cher, nike air max pas cher, nike air max uk, nike free pas cher, hermes pas cher, new balance, true religion jeans, jordan pas cher, ray ban uk, coach outlet, lunette oakley pas cher, north face pas cher, converse, burberry pas cher, louboutin pas cher, lunette ray ban pas cher, nike roshe uk, nike tn pas cher, michael kors, ralph lauren pas cher, polo ralph lauren uk, true religion outlet, michael kors uk, longchamp pas cher

 

Post a Comment

<< Home