Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Back down to Earth

The other day, a bunch of us were all in the pool at my compound. Now, its been quite hot out recently, and usually they chill the pool in the summer, but for some reason the chiller wasn't working and the pool felt like bathwater by the middle of the afternoon. At one point, I even said, "If this is the biggest complaint in our lives right now guys, that our pool is too hot, then I think we're all doin' ok." Everyone agreed.

A few days later, I realized that my nails looked like crap, and I hadn't been feeling well, so I decided to make a manicure-pedicure appointment at my normal place. The woman doing my pedicure asked me if I was from America, how long I had been in Doha and why I was here, and I asked her the same. I asked her if she was from the Philippines, even though I already knew she was. I knew because everyone in the service industry in Qatar is Filipino. They work the registers and the floor at every chain store and most small shops; they bring tea to employees at work, patients at the hospital, and everywhere in between; they are drivers, nannies, maids, secretaries, security, waiters, and manicurists... the list goes on. To be honest, not once have I had a bad interaction with a Filipino employee, but neither have I really had a chance to talk with any. Our CMU employees are always too busy working, and I, alas, do not have a nanny, maid, personal driver, etc. But manicures are long and there's really not much to do but chat, so I figured this would be a good chance.

Turns out that this particular woman has only been in Doha for three weeks. She said that all of the employees of the spa live together, within walking distance of work. She seemed ok with that, but had a lot of questions for me about what it was like to work at the university, and the benefits of being an American ex-pat. Then she told me that she left her 6 year old daughter and 11 year old son in the Philippines. I couldn't bring myself to ask what circumstances led her to leave her kids and come to work in Doha. I think that's a second manicure conversation.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 4:00 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Caryl, I'm loving this new frequent updating! I like hearing about your fun life. And definitely ask your manicurist why she left the Philippines - I'm very curious. Is Qatar recruiting people straight from the Philippines? What is this happening?

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 16.03
christian louboutin, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, ralph lauren outlet, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton handbags, replica watches, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, ralph lauren polo, replica watches, michael kors outlet, christian louboutin, longchamp bags, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, uggs outlet, oakley sunglasses, cheap jordans, michael kors outlet online, tiffany jewelry, burberry outlet, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, uggs on sale, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet online, michael kors handbags, uggs on sale, uggs outlet, tiffany jewelry, louboutin uk, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, oakley sunglasses, michael kors, longchamp outlet, nike air max, gucci handbags, ray ban sunglasses, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, burberry factory outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike free

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

nike air max uk, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, mulberry uk, vans pas cher, timberland pas cher, replica handbags, true religion outlet, coach outlet store online, north face uk, nike air max, longchamp soldes, lululemon outlet, nike air force, hollister uk, sac guess pas cher, vanessa bruno pas cher, michael kors, polo lacoste pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, true religion outlet, hogan sito ufficiale, nike roshe run pas cher, nike free, abercrombie and fitch UK, nike blazer pas cher, nike air max pas cher, nike air max uk, nike free pas cher, hermes pas cher, new balance, true religion jeans, jordan pas cher, ray ban uk, coach outlet, lunette oakley pas cher, north face pas cher, converse, burberry pas cher, louboutin pas cher, lunette ray ban pas cher, nike roshe uk, nike tn pas cher, michael kors, ralph lauren pas cher, polo ralph lauren uk, true religion outlet, michael kors uk, longchamp pas cher

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

links of london uk, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, karen millen uk, louis vuitton, hollister, coach outlet, moncler, sac louis vuitton, montre pas cher, gucci, canada goose outlet, barbour, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, sac louis vuitton, canada goose pas cher, toms shoes, ugg uk, moncler uk, supra shoes, wedding dresses uk, barbour jackets uk, pandora jewelry, moncler, bottes ugg pas cher, canada goose, canada goose jackets, juicy couture outlet, pandora uk, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, marc jacobs, canada goose jackets, louis vuitton uk, moncler outlet, pandora charms, swarovski uk, replica watches, lancel, canada goose outlet, moncler pas cher, moncler, thomas sabo uk, swarovski jewelry, moncler, ugg pas cher, canada goose, converse shoes outlet, moncler jackets, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, ray ban
ninest123 16.03

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Dalia Alaa said...


http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/mosques-cleaning-companies-3.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/mosques-cleaning-companies-2.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/mosques-cleaning-companies.html

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger lamiss ibrahim said...


I definitely love this site.
https://lamissibrahim.doodlekit.com/blog
http://prokr.emyspot.com/
http://prokrservices.ahlablog.com
https://www.prokr.net/ksa/jeddah-water-leaks-detection-isolate-companies/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home